Saturday, December 8, 2012

Reflections


Image: Google images

I wonder who looks back at me
When two-way pane is all I see.
Who’s hidden there behind the glass
watching me as I walk past?

From underneath the polished sea
I wonder who looks back at me
My eyes can’t see what swims below;
what worlds are there that I can’t know?

And walking through the misty night
beyond the edge of pooling light
I wonder who looks back at me;
my shoulders hunch, protectively.

With everything that’s come to pass,
reflected in the looking glass
while it’s my features that I see,
I wonder who looks back at me.

This is an example of a Quatern, which is made up of four quatrains with the first line appearing in descending order in each stanza, ie: Aabb aAcc ddAa eeaA.  It one is also iambic tetrameter.  This is the Form for All over at dVerse.  I'm too late to like up but you should still check it out; you won't be disappointed.

11 comments:

  1. nice.....great job on the form...great refrain line as well...and i like how you change the perspective a bit throughout....the last two stanzas were the strongest for me...and that it is your features you see yet still wonder who looks back at you....very cool...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian. Even though I'm late it feels like this is a little rushed. I hope to polish it up after it simmers awhile. Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The refrain flows very well and the last two lines are giving me shivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SG. Reading yours is what got me to try. :o)

      Delete
  4. Like the flow, especailly that last stanza, looking back and reflecting, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Mary! One of my favorite forms of poetry. I like the repetitive line, and how it changes position in each stanza. Nicely penned, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ginny. I appreciate your comments; this is my first quatern.

      Delete
  6. Sadly, I know of forms and styles. I do know this was a delightful read and now has me thinking, Who is looking back at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe she sees all the glaring inconsistencies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is some quote, something like: Be careful when looking into the abyss, because the abyss is also looking back at you. Of course I can't remember who said it...

    ReplyDelete