Friday, December 16, 2011

Jingle Bells?

     Image by Currier and Ives

Personally, 
I feel that I’m filled
with more than my quota
of Christmas Spirit, but 

Jimmy, what were you thinking when
you wrote that second verse of
Jingle Bells?
What the hell is this ‘upsot’?
And Fanny Bright?  Really?  C’mon, really?
You gotta be kiddin’.

Sounds more like
a case of
Christmas spirits
to me!


Historical Note: The author and composer of Jingle Bells was James Lord Pierpoint of Boston, who composed the song in 1857 for children celebrating his Sunday School Thanksgiving. The song was so popular that it was repeated at Christmas, and indeed Jingle Bells has been reprised ever since.

These 55 foolish words were written for Mr. Knowitall Friday Flash 55.  Check it out and maybe contribute your own 55 word long ditty.

9 comments:

  1. haha...was just talking with my wife yesterday about what wasseling really means...i know the verse about batman too...guess that is not in the original either...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell about the school yard verse- but it definitely isn't nice! Now I'll have to go and read some history- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian - yea...don't get me started! I think I prefer the Batman lyrics!

    Izzy - Hmmm...now you've got me wondering :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jingle bells, shot-gun shells, bee bees all the way.....
    Oh yeah Mary, there is lots of variations to this ditty.
    Loved your 55 My Friend.
    Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like caroling when you're full of spirits to give the song an original do-over. Laughing all the way on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G-Man - heheh...Thanks, and the best of weekends to you as well.

    Hedgewitch - Yes, the Christmas spirits and Christmas spirits! Glad you're laughing not groaning now :o)

    ReplyDelete