Sunday, February 5, 2012

Safety in Numbers












Sunday morning I balance my check book;
the orderliness  of rows and columns is comforting.
I write in pencil, so errors can be erased,
though I rarely make a mistake.
I print the numbers deliberately,
 forming each line and curve with care.
I double-check the math, and when I am finished
 the bank and I agree: everything balances.

I print ‘BALANCED!” with precision
across the front of the statement in ink,
because once reconciled, it never changes.
Then I file the statement in the hanging file labeled
‘Bank Statements-Checking’ in the
third drawer of the file cabinet in my home office.
And everything is just so.

Next I do Sudoku puzzles.
The nine, neat boxes stacked in order wait for me;
there is logic, process, method used to solve the problem.
It is a comfort to find where each number belongs.
There are rules to follow as I systematically fill in the grid.
Numbers are safe (thus the expression).
They don’t lie, or cheat, or grow bored and fall out of love.

One day I will move on to the Sunday Crossword Puzzle,
but not yet. 
I am not yet ready to deal in the treachery of words.

Image by bits-apogee.org

This can be found at Poets United in their Poetry Pantry.  Go there to see lots of others' offerings, or post a poem of your own.  


12 comments:

  1. Ah, the treachery of words... not as precise as numbers, are they? There is a certain comfort in a place for everything and everything in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true Denise, and actually I'm not at all the person described here. I am words and chaos, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! You create this character so well. Killer last line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. I am not this character...but I know several of them very well.

      Delete
  4. love this,

    I write pay checks and keep records, but never thought of writing about it,

    you rock, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love "they dont....grow bored and fall out of love".....and your fantastic last line. Good one, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice write. I like that you are the words and chaos :) sounds like me...words and chaos as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I have been unofficially crowned Queen of Chaos in my little neck of the woods! Nice to meet a fellow chaotic!

      Delete
  7. I am amazed, this is so much better than so many poems in blogland.
    At first I couldn't see what you were after, but then I got drawn in and the end is marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Friko, I really appreciate your kind comment!

      Delete