Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Snow

Last night we had a blizzard here in western Wisconsin. The entire state was advised not to travel, so we sat inside all cozy and warm watching the snow swirl and listening to the wind wail. This morning we awoke to about a foot of snow glistening in the bright morning sun. I have always felt this time of year approaching the solstice is special, whether you observe the return of the Son or the Sun. And it also brings to mind one of my favorite witer quotes:


I am younger each year at the first snow. When I see it, suddenly, in the air, all little and white and moving; then I am in love again and very young and I believe everything. - Anne Sexton

6 comments:

  1. Its so true, as soon as I see it, I get this little kid feeling, a giddy rush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then there's always that possibility of a 'snow day'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a hairy-scary drive to work this morning... but the trees sure looked pretty!

    I love snow except for two aspects: Shoveling and driving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you there Eric! But it's worth it. Did you hear the Metrodome collapsed? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I saw footage of it actually happening on the news this morning - it looked like an avalanche spilling onto the football field!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, being from Wisconsin there are a lot of folks here who feel more than a little bit of joy at the bad fortune of the Vikings and Brent Favre. :o)

    ReplyDelete