Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pending

I ask you if your love is true
but your response is pending.
I use my phone and email too
in asking if your love is true.
Unlikely reasons saunter through
my mind - excuses never ending.
I ask you if your love is true,
but your response is pending.


The triolet is a short poem of eight lines with only two rhymes used throughout. The requirements are straightforward: the first line is repeated in the fourth and seventh lines; the second line is repeated in the final line; and only the first two end-words are used to complete the tight rhyme scheme. Thus, the poet writes only five original lines, giving the triolet a deceptively simple appearance: ABaAabAB, where capital letters indicate repeated lines.  Also, ideally the lines should be iambic tetrameter, but  I am rather rusty at this form,  and played a bit loose with this. :o)

5 comments:

  1. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder—a "bit loose" works for me in this. The format and rhyme are there, and work really well with the subject choice. And I am ever-so-fond of formatted poetry! I like it, Mary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried this form but find myself liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another inviting style! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pending response can go many a way, not many good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done again, in a form whose repeated lines make writing a coherent poem quite tricky.

    ReplyDelete