Thursday, April 30, 2015

Final Words

Over in the Imaginary Garden Izy presented us with the following writing prompt:
A few minutes from now, you will lose all means of communication with humanity.  You will not die, but will no longer be able to interact with the world.  What’s the last thing you say?  

Quite a bit, as it turns out!  I've been having trouble finishing up the 30 poems in 30 days, but it turns out with this prompt I came up with a couple of very different responses.  (And yes, I'm counting this as three poems for NaPoWriMo.)

The first thing that pops into my mind is the song from the Carol Burnette Show, “I’m so glad we had this time together, just to have a laugh or sing a song.  Seems we just get started then before you know it, comes the time we have to say so long.” 

Then I wrote the following:


If I couldn’t
communicate
with the world
anymore
how
would that
be any different?

   ~~~~~~~

If I couldn’t communicate
with the world
anymore
would I want to scatter
all my pearls of wisdom,
my humor
my clever, profound ruminations
that the world simply cannot live without?
Look out for the military-industrial complex
tell the people you love that you love them
but keep the people you hate guessing
be kind, be fair, be generous
use your parking brake on hills
remember the stories your parents tell you
time rules your life
be kind to animals
Earth is the only home we have
(so far)
show her some respect
Remember to water the plants
tell your gods to stop fighting
hang up your wet towels             
and the answer is
42

   ~~~~~~~

When I can no longer talk 
to you
perhaps it is time to listen

25 comments:

  1. like your opener, yes we should not be self centered; but rather if we give if we share, give and share in thar essence of purity

    thanks for dropping in to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Mary ~~ words woven with wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I guess you had lots to say, and remembering to water your plants is very neat. That is a very thought provoking prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer is *always* 42!!---except thank god, when it comes to how many poems to write in April. This is, if I am reading right in my end of the month delirium, satirical as hell, but like all good satire, barbed and sharp with uncomfortably prickly truths. Thanks for the company this month Mary, and sorry for the ones I've missed due to being overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have to talk very very fast to get all of that out lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mix here from all the important matters of the world to the little details of life - and most important 42..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, wise advice...and I love the "perhaps it is time to listen". Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good one and I guess we all should start listening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hang up your wet towels, and the answer if 42. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..beautiful, haunting and made me smile :) Nice strong finish for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the humor sprinkled within the great wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three .. or sections of one whole? Either way, I love everything you say here! I particularly love the well-known homilies, which you make at once apt and amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful lines depicting wisdom & truth..!
    Congratulations on making it through this month! :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. 42!!!! This piece was touching and humorous...thanks for casting your pearls our way! Viva la and thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, charming--clever--wry, serious. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wise words of wisdom, Mary. And of course 42 is the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, you are so clever~! Yes, 42 is right~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow (look up the German 70's band "Can" for those and other lyrics). Loopy here, but will say this: I am always glad to read your pens - smart, wry, thought-provoking, and oftentimes exactly what the doctor ordered. that, and whiskey ~

    ReplyDelete
  19. That first poem is such punch in the face... a wake-up-and-smell-the-stale-coffee kind of punch. I didn't think about it, but your poem says it well... If understanding and comprehension can't be transmitted from human to human to society, not much would have change.

    ReplyDelete
  20. tell the people you love that you love them
    but keep the people you hate guessing

    Sounds like a good plan to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All three wonderful. Great list of guides.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful poems about last words. I love the last one. Thanks for all the poetry you brought to April.

    ReplyDelete
  23. last words...would take me too long i think to come up with an answer. i'd rather listen. i'm better at that. but...your last words are perfect. cleverly humorous and seriously true. a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, nice! And congrats on the flurry of words in April. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete